Sunday, February 5, 2012

Moving the chains

As much as I thought Dad was waking up yesterday, today was a day of true movement. The docs felt good enough upon examination of his condition this morning to reduce his sedative, allowing him more opportunity to breathe in his own. It also causes him to be more conscious, and Steve really woke up.

When I arrived around 2pm, the nurse was instantly pushing us out. Seeing us would have pushed his already struggling body over the top, so we ducked into the waiting room. When my mom stepped in, she said he was really coming awake and simply way too flustered to deal with people. But, it was great to hear that he was wiggling his toes, moving his hands, and otherwise responding to commands. A physical therapist was even starting her work in reducing the swelling.

So the plan from here is clearer. The dics want to decrease his steroids and slowly wean him off the ventilator. He might just be strong enough to breathe without need of a tracheotomy. He does still have a fever, evidence of a lingering pneumonia. Once he beats this illness, the docs will begin running their tests needed to prove he is good for transplant. Those are the two levels he needs to surpass before the new pair of pipes could arrive.

They also are changing his steroids, although I'm a little hazy on those details. In the end, Marian is growing more confident. The docs have a good plan and dad is dealing as well as can be expected. I wasn't allowed in the room today for fear of emotional overload, but that's ok. If I were in his shoes I wouldn't want him there either (I mean that with all respect and love)! The next baby steps will be taken with his bride by his side, the nurse he listens to the best. Not too worry, Marian is being well looked after. She hasn't had to cook in over a week and is eating very well. I have a feeling she will be putting in long hours the next few days, but I have promised to grab her and escape for a ritual evening drink.

Thanks to all who have left comments and sent emails to us. Your prayers are working! Not many visitors will be permitting in the next few days, so I'll be sure to pass along any messages you have.

P.S. Go Giants!

5 comments:

  1. Hi there this is jama(your moms good childhood friend) I uses to manage the Cvcc unit at methodist he is in very good hands. Tell Marian I will call her. That particular unit at Methodist saved my mothers life. Good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. La Familia Foster-PenaFebruary 5, 2012 at 11:25 PM

    Very encouraging steps for Uncle Steve and Aunt Marian. Give 'em strength. Out thoughts and prayers are with Uncle Steve and all of his solid, loving family, the family he loves very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina and JeremyFebruary 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM

    That's great news! We're so happy to hear it. All our love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great news! Thanks so much for starting this blog to keep everyone who love and care for Steve and Marian informed! Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you and especially Steve for a speedy recovery!
    Love,
    Mary Lou and Ken

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked with Marian at the VA. Give her and Steve my love and prayers. Please tell her I am a call away and will do anything I can to help.

    ReplyDelete